|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
Built in 1979 as a pole barn, this building used to house cars, trucks, horses and a stained glass studio. Through patience and vision, it has been through remarkable changes to become the amazing spot it is today. Parking in the carport, or across from it, the first thing you’ll notice is the glass garage door and temple-style carport. The door leads into “man zone” complete with simple work out equipment, a tool bench, a pull out twin bed and a fire place. Art decorates the walls. Some was done by my dad, but most was borrowed from his artistic friends on “long term loans” and never returned. Based on how much he has, I don’t think they noticed he never gave it back.
Through the barn door, is the main living space. There is a dining area on your right, a sitting area on your left, the kitchen and the only bathroom. Each building on the property is heated by wood stove, but this wood stove is by far the most awesome. You can cook on, and in, it as well as use the bread warmer. I love this stove! Bring your fire-making skills, although there are step by step instructions in the folder on the dining room table. In the summer you probably won’t need a fire, but in the winter, it should be the first thing you do in the morning, and you should be sure to keep the fire stoked throughout the day to maintain your comfort level. There is nothing like a wood burning stove to create a cozy, comfortable atmosphere!!
Depending on the time of year, the sun sets between late afternoon and early evening hitting the side porch perfectly. I highly recommend you structure your day to be sitting on the deck once the sun hits and until it sets. It’s warm, peaceful, and the view of the ornamental garden, waterfall and koi pond brings the serenity most people are searching for in their lives. Play music or enjoy the silence; some light h’ourdevers and your favorite beverage….it’s perfect. The switch to the waterfall is behind the door, outside at ankle height. Please turn it off when you’re not enjoying it. The waterfall boulders are all cemented in, so if you have small children, they should be able to play in the waterfall without destroying it. Please be attentive, respectful and cautious, but enjoy yourselves.
There is a reading nook above the bathroom, with a plethora of pillows and extra blankets. We can’t keep our kids out of that area, but please evaluate and educate your party before allowing them to go into the reading nook. It’s a long fall down.
The upper studio has several relaxing spaces: the master queen bed, the reading library, the TV area, the work space and the view. There is a peek-a-boo view of the Lopez ferry terminal, and in the far distance you can see the Olympics which is just magical when the alpenglow hits it. There is another queen bed; a custom made murphy bed from a recycled armoire. This allows you to add the bed if you need it, or put it away if you don’t. Both beds are in the same general space, so if you come as too separate families, you're all sleeping in the same room so make sure you like each other.
The lighting in The Roost is spectacular, creating the perfect ambiance for every occasion. Push a button on the light switch. Then the button vertically from the button you pushed can be turned to dim or brighten. I'd be more specific, but after 11 years of this lighting, that's the most specific I can be. Just push buttons. :)
Every fixture, every door, every piece of wood has been carefully selected over the years and rarely bought new; it's like the ultimate in upcycling! Each comfort chair was the favorite of one of my relatives, going as far back as my great grandmother and father. I love visiting with friends as we all nestle into a different favorite chair.
A common myth is that summer is the best time to visit. Yes, it's beautiful. The garden, the water, the colors...it's breathtaking. But it's also busy as our 4000 person island shoots up to a population of over 14000 in the summer months. Do yourself a favor, and come, at least once, in the fall or winter. The grey days, the fog socked cabin in the woods, the brisk outside air shocked by the warmth of the inside fire. Play board games, read books, sit....all to the crackle of the fire. Trust me....
And then don't tell anyone so we can keep the serenity of the off season. :)
From The Roost, you look out over a building nestled into the hillside with a dirt roof. This is the Nest. The hot tub is on the other side of the Nest along with an outdoor shower. Feel free to enjoy the outdoor amenities.
Things you need to know:
• There is NO dishwasher. In light of this inconvenience, we have provided the nicest possible view to look at while hand washing all your dishes.
• The hot water runs around the house 3 times before it gets anywhere so be patient. This applies to the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink and the shower.
• The water is completely drinkable, and I think really, really good. So enjoy it.
• There is a dog on the property named Polly. She’s very friendly and thinks you’re inviting her in when the door is open; she’ll make herself right at home. Just tell her to go away if you don’t want her around.
• If you have kids with you please keep an eye on them at all times to ensure that they don’t bother the animals (there are chickens and ducks) or range into off-limits areas (the upper house and surrounding spaces).
• The property manager is on site so if have any questions, please contact Matt and he will be happy to help you with whatever you need. Please respect his families space by not going up the driveway past The Roost or down the little grass lane at the top of the hill that The Roost is situated on.
• There is onsite laundry, but it’s under The Roost where the horses used to live. You’re welcome to use it, but be warned it's very "barn like" down there.
• The reading nook is NOT for sleeping. Use at your own risk.
• Quiet time is from 8pm until 7am.
• Did I mention this place is rustic? This is a cabin in the woods. Nature is everywhere, outside and inside the structures. Since the fire place is the main source of heat, there is dust. Unfortunately, there is no way to get rid of all the dust without increasing our rates. It’s beautiful, peaceful, and cozy, but if you’re looking for all the amenities of the city, this may not be the place for you.
Everyone who has visited has commented on the uniqueness, beauty and restfulness of The Roost. We hope that its serenity is exactly what you're looking for in a peaceful and relaxed vacation.
Orcas Island is a magical place; the feeling of serenity will overwhelm you as soon as you get off the ferry (if the ferry ride hadn’t done it already). With not much open after 9pm and no stop lights on the island, come expecting the true meaning of “island time”. This is a place to relax, re-center yourself and get back to a simplistic lifestyle while enjoying nature.
I would encourage people to do as little as possible while on the island: walk, read, sit. However, if you want to “do things” on your vacation there is plenty to do on our small island. Water activities including whale watching, kayaking, or sailing are common attractions. You can also walk onto the ferry to Friday Harbor, San Juan Island for free. The main town is right at the ferry dock and offers shopping, restaurants and “town” activities.
Moran State Park is approximately a 35 min drive away offering: Mount Constitution, the highest point in the San Juan Islands with breathtaking views, Cascade Lake for swimming, a playground and renting paddle boats, and Mountain Lake, an easy, flat 4 mile loop hike.
To know the best things on the island, ask any working islander (cashier, server, etc.). They’ll happily tell you the latest and the greatest!!
Check out everything you need to know about making a ferry reservation at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries. You leave from Anacortes and I highly recommend making a reservation!
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Nov 1 2016 - Apr 30 2017
2 night minimum stay
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
|Refundable Damage Deposit||C$331|
We love our pets as much as other people do. However, please leave your pets at home. There are NO PETS allowed on the property from VRBO clients, your guests or others you have invited to the property. This is to protect you, our property and your pet. Thank you for your compliance. If we find out there was an unapproved pet on the property, you will forfeit your entire security deposit and be subject to any additional charges for damage done.
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.