|Minimum Stay||3 nights|
Completely self-contained, ground-floor garden suite set in a natural west-coast setting of tall firs, cedars, salal, goats beard, wild cranberry, ocean spray, Oregon grape, and ferns. The suite is perched on the immediate edge of the Capilano Canyon (the property is well fenced!) looking 30 metres down to the ruggedly beautiful Capilano River and across the canyon to the Capilano Regional Park. Exceptionally quiet - the only sounds you will hear will be the murmurs of the river and the songs and cries of the many resident birds.
The Canyon hosts bald eagles, ospreys, great blue herons, and numerous ducks and other smaller birds, including sparkling hummingbirds, that fly past at eye-level, perch on nearby trees, and enjoy the birdfeeders. Looking down at the Ranger Pool, you will see salmon running (in the fall), fly fishermen, kayakers, and hikers taking a rest on the river's 'beach'.
Our home is set well below the road, which is why it is so quiet and the setting so pristine. But it comes at a cost! There is a hand-railed path of about 40 steps from our carport down to the main level of our home. We continue to handle this journey with ease (despite two hip replacements!). There are a further 20 steps down to the suite. Consider this hike part of your daily workout!
The suite has it own private deck overlooking the canyon and there is an adjoining patio that provides a cool place to sit and read or eat on sunny hot days. It has been recently renovated and decorated with West Coast art. It has two large, bright bedrooms, with a double or queen-size bed and new bedding. The living area has a slate floor and comprises a well-equipped kitchen, a large dining and living area with a gas fireplace. The bathroom includes a bath and shower, and the usual fittings. The suite looks out, through two double French doors, to the deck and across the river to the park. The suite is exceptionally safe and private, and is professionally cleaned after each visit.
Our suite is exceptionally well located for tourists and vacationers:
• 5 minute walk to the Capilano Suspension Bridge - this is a must-see, well worth it!
• 15 minute walk (or 3 minute drive) to the Chinook Trail in the Capilano Regional Park that loops around the Cleveland Dam back to the trailhead - a lovely, pristine, riverside trail - pools, ancient trees, Capilano Salmon Hatchery, and more (my favourite longer walk).
• 5 minute drive to the Capilano Salmon Hatchery - very interesting and close encounters with salmon (which are very tasty!).
• 10 minute walk (or 3 minute drive) to Edgemont Village - old-fashioned village that provides everything you need for your stay (except a candlestick maker!).
• 20 minute quiet walk or 5 minute drive to Murdo Frazer Park - pitch and putt and a little old wood cabin set on a duck pond - bring duck food - great fun for kids!
• 10 minute drive to Ambleside Beach, 10 minute drive to Third Beach in Stanley Park - this is our favourite beach and is wonderful for families with younger children.
• 10 minute drive to the Grouse Mountain Skyride to the peak - lots to do and great fun year-round. Or, instead of taking the Skyride, try the Grouse Grind - be warned, it's very tough! For the daredevils, Grouse and the North Shore offer unmatched mountain biking!
• 20 minute drives to Cypress and Seymour Mountains - good skiing and hiking. For the fitter types, try hiking from Cypress Bowl to the Lions along the Howe Sound Crest Trail - my favourite, more demanding, hike (when I was younger!) - the views are spectacular, particularly from the top of the West Lion.
• 40 minute drive to the Sea to Sky Gondola near Squamish on the road to Whistler. Fantastic views of the iconic Stawamus Chief, Howe Sound, and surrounding mountains - a new North Shore attraction and well worth a visit!
The transit and travelling location of our home is excellent:
• 2 minute walk to buses that service downtown Vancouver, Stanley Park, Lonsdale Quay, Grouse Mountain, and Horseshoe Bay.
• 10-20 minute drive to downtown Vancouver and Stanley Park over the Lions Gate Bridge.
• 1 minute drive to the Trans Canada Highway - gateway to Horseshoe Bay, Lions Bay, Squamish and Whistler to the north west; and the Seconds Narrows Bridge, Lynn Canyon Park and Suspension Bridge, Deep Cove, east Vancouver, Burnaby and the Fraser Valley to the east.
• south of Vancouver, including the USA, can be reached through downtown Vancouver or by the Second Narrows Bridge (avoiding downtown).
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add C$30 per night, per additional guest|
Please note that the additional guest fee of $30.00 per night DOES NOT APPLY TO CHILDREN OF THE RENTER (high school or younger)! If the "Book It" system quotes the additional guest fee for your children, enter O children
Monthly rate by negotiation
Please feel free to call our home number for more information or any clarification 1-604-987-2832