|Minimum Stay||14 nights|
When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
(Scroll down for 10 Fun Things to Do)
NOTE: Minimal rental period is 14 days. Less than one month $400/week. One month or more $1200/month ($40/night).
NO PETS! NO SMOKING! Thanks.
Calzada Tecolote ('La Ruta de la Independencia' down which Miguel Hidalgo rode in 1810) is a car-free 'callejon' (alley) four minutes walk from Jardin Union, the unofficial city center.
Our house (two-minute walk up the callejon from where taxi drops you off) is adobe, dating back to perhaps 1850. We spent three years renovating after buying it in 2005.
GROUND FLOOR: Three rooms plus a bathroom with shower and washing machine. Two bedrooms (back and front) with the option of a third using a fold-down sofa in the middle room. Front room doubles as a yoga studio. Please note: door between front room and middle room, curtain between middle room and back room (master guest bedroom). Guests in back bedroom go through middle room to access.
MIDDLE FLOOR: Kitchen, sala (living room) with fold-down sofa-bed, patio (with fountain and plants), storage room (with small library of English & Spanish books), small bathroom with shower, tiny workshop.
TOP FLOOR (azotea): One room which we use as the master bedroom, office and view-sala, with terraces on both sides, each with a unique view.
ROOF of the top floor room is accessible via a narrow stairway, for 360-degree city views. (Use at your own risk--no handrail!)
Manager (bilingual) on-call, fiber-optic wifi, local phone, electricity, city water and gas included. (But not bottled water.)
Our home (as our plainspoken cleaning lady and friend Mari tells us) is a trifle 'rustico'--not everything matches, you're under open skies going from floor to floor--but everything's clean, everything works, it's cozy, spacious and cheerful. We love sharing our home, but it is just that: a home, not a 5-star hotel!
Our location is pretty amazing. You can walk down and be in the very center of town in less than five minutes on pedestrian-only streets. But if you walk UP Calzada Tecolote, in 15 minutes you can be at the start of everyone's favorite hike: La Bufa/Los Picachos. This is an outstanding volcanic formation, from which you get a fabulous view of the city. Takes another 45 minutes to reach the cross on top if you're fit.
Other great hikes abound. Mari is also a hiker and will guide you on all the local trails for a small fee (you negotiate). She's also a great cook--ask her to quote you for a family dinner.
10 FUN THINGS TO DO WHILE STAYING AT TECOLOTE 39
1. Walk up the 113 University steps
2. Enjoy a 24-peso Executive Breakfast (gordita y jugo) from the four sisters puesto just off Baratillo
3. Go up the tower of Mercado Hidalgo (ask at office at top of stairs inside)
4. Take the bus to El Cubo to see a mining village
5. Identify the nine churches you can see from the top of our house
6. Return to our house from downtown via Potrero and the steep steps of Caracol
7. Walk through Guanajuato's original tunnel, 'Subterranea Miguel Hidalgo,' from Teatro Cervantes to near Comercial Mexicana
8. Meditate at 8 am weekdays (only when the University is 'in') at Meson San Antonio on Alonso
9. Climb the fire escape on the side of Teatro Juarez
10. Watch squadrons of grackles fly by at sunset on their (seasonal) flight path between Embajadoras and Reforma
BONUS: Friday night symphonies at Teatro Principal, 5 minutes away...80 pesos!
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
14 night minimum stay
|Refundable Damage Deposit||C$132|
Included: internet (basic-speed wifi); electricity; tap water; gas (if one bottle runs out and you replace, give the receipt to our manager and we will refund at same time as damage deposit); phone for local calls.
Not included: potable water, delivered in 20 liter bottles ("garafons"), about $2 each.
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.