|Space||2,850 sq. ft.|
|Minimum Stay||7 nights|
WELCOME TO COUNTY LOYALIST FARMHOUSE!
Whether you are looking for a country escape or want to meander the wine trails of the County, the County Loyalist Farmhouse will capture your heart and imagination. Experience Prince Edward County at its best, in this fully renovated early 19th century farmhouse filled with the light and sounds of waterside living and situated on the easternmost tip of Prince Edward County.
How to choose the best sunset view? Could be sitting on the dock as the sun sinks beyond the horizon, gently swinging in the waterside cedar swing, or sipping your beverage of choice on the front courtyard. Regardless of location, the sunsets of County Loyalist Farmhouse are simply not to be missed. You may find yourself establishing a Sunset Salutation every day to observe the many colours, sites and joys that each exceptional sunset provides!
County Loyalist sits at the top of a knoll, and the windows on the main floor provide many views of the water, almost as if it was lapping at the glass. The windows are many, ready to be opened to the sounds of the water and the birds, and the breeze ruffling the nearby leaves on the trees.
- The great room on the west side of the house encompasses the kitchen with its large island, wonderful seating and playing area and a large dining room allow comfortable traffic flow.
- Windows look out to the west and north of the house, offering spectacular sunset and water views.
- The kitchen, with it expansive row of windows, has a dishwasher, range, microwave, fridge and a large country sink that often doubles as a bathtub for the under-3 group!
- A large island anchors the kitchen so the cooks have lots of company.
- A powder room is tucked discreetly by the back entrance.
- Both the living room and kitchen provide access to the wonderful patio overlooking the farmland behind the property.
- The front door leads out to a generous portico flanked by two courtyards overlooking the front lawn down to the shoreline.
- 4 bedrooms upstairs (2 rooms with queen-size beds and 2 rooms with 2 twins) sleep 8. A portacrib is available for babies. All have windows looking out to the shore and all are equipped with ceiling fans. Cross breezes from the 2 or more windows in each bedroom provide refreshing air flow.
- A large central hallway on the second floor contains a book nook where quiet reading can be done.
- In the “tail” portion of the upper floor are the main bath (with shower) and laundry facilities as well as en-suite off the master bedroom.
In sharing our habitat with the creatures of land and sea, we keep artificial grooming of the shoreline to a minimum. As you sit by the water, you may spot the family of minks that will suddenly streak across the shore, or a curious chipmunk come out to see if you have peanuts.
- Seating area with garden swing and Muskoka chairs for your comfort at the shore.
- Forty foot dock is available for swimming, boat mooring and sunning.
- A pebbly shoreline recommends water shoes be worn.
- The water shore gradually slopes away from the shore & can be entered from the shore or the dock (dock entry is not deep enough for diving).
- Kayak provided with the rental. Please bring your own properly sized personal flotation devices.
- Launch your own boat at the “cow drink” on the west end of the property, marked by a stake and where the kayak is secured. This is a grassy slope so, if you prefer, a public launch is nearby.
- A pass for Sandbanks is available for your use at no fee.
LAWN AND GARDENS
The County Loyalist Farmhouse sits on 3.5 acres of land with over 300 feet of private waterfront and a barn dating back two centuries (no access). There are many areas to relax around the house.
- The back patio that is well shaded on those hot afternoons with patio tables and umbrellas.
- Front courtyards with shady mornings and sunny afternoons, loungers and rocking chairs.
- In the secluded tree line adjacent to the house is a large hammock, where you can recline and relax, listening to the birds and the water lapping at the shore.
- An outdoor fire bowl in the meadow behind the house with chairs, perfect for toasting marshmallows and admire the fields filled with fireflies.
- You are welcome to use the herbs in the kitchen garden.
- A few birdfeeders set up outside the kitchen window allow for easy viewing of the birds (birdseed is on the back porch). Big crowds of blackbirds tend to overwhelm chickadees and finches and woodpeckers at the seed feeders, but you may spot the smaller winged friends at quiet times.
- The oriole feeder can be replenished with the nectar to be found in the fridge (and yes, they do hang upside down to feed from there) and it also attracts hummingbirds.
And late at night, with your windows open to catch the soft sounds of the evening, you may hear the call of the owl or the howl of the coyote or wolf. We hope you will love your stay County Loyalist Farmhouse!
The original farmland was deeded to an officer of the British Army after the American Revolution. His heirs have farmed this land for over 200 years, building a home that started out as a modest cabin on this site late in the 18th century. When we purchased the property early in the 21st century we wanted to ensure existing heritage details were incorporated into the renovations necessary to its condition. These features can be seen in the post and beam construction of the “tail” where the kitchen is housed, the small side windows on the second floor originally tucked under the eaves of the roof, the ruby glass windows and the tin ceiling of the great room, the “tail” added to the rear of the house with its second staircase, to name a few. County Loyalist farmhouse stands as a testimony to the many people who have lived under its roof.
Keywords: waterfront, house, farmhouse, rural, natural, water sports, cycling, bird watching, swimming, kayaking.
Enjoy Ontario's newest designated wine growing region with many wineries and the County's only cidery close by.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
Changeover Day: Friday
7 night minimum stay
|Refundable Damage Deposit||C$500|
VRBO Online Payment fee is not charged if renter chooses to pay owner directly. VRBO payment fee is charged by VRBO and owner does not receive any funds from the payment. Benefits to the renter are as outlined by VRBO.
Property is cleaned prior to your arrival, with all beds made up, bathroom linens and kitchen linens provided. Cleaning costs are included in rental rates.
High Season rents 4 p.m. Saturday to 11 a.m. following Saturday. No Weekends during High Season.
Rest of the year rents 4 p.m. Friday to 11 a.m. following Friday.