At the coastal junction of the Penobscot River and Bay, the Barnard House (built in 1843 by a sea captain in the Historic District of Bucksport, Maine) is one of the most elegantly appointed Victorian houses of midcoastal Maine, with commanding views of the Penobscot Narrows and Fort Knox.
Restored to its historic grandeur in 2007-9, the House, with 6 bedrooms, 8 Fireplaces, Grand Foyer and Staircase, Library, Music Room, Grand Dining Room, is located on a quiet, tree-lined, Victorian street, within one block of Bucksport Marina (for kayaking and sailing), the boardwalk, shopping district, restaurants, bookstores, and the Alamo Theater, site of classical concerts, commercial films, and film festivals. Located between Bangor (the International Airport is 30 minutes away) and Acadia National Park at Bar Harbor (50 minutes away), there is convenient access to the four principal coastal highways of the Penobscot Bay region.
Bucksport, Maine, with its 80 foot deep water harbor and marina, was the principal shipbuilding center of northern New England during the mid 1800's. This bayside village is at the division of the Penobscot River as it surrounds Verona Island and forms Penobscot Bay at the heart of midcoastal Maine.
Across the River lies Fort Knox (1840), the principal historic destination within Maine, accessible via the new architectural masterpiece of the Penobscot Narrows Bridge, linking the coastal mountains and Verona Island (which form the view from the Barnard House). The whitewater and sea kayaking, sailing, fishing, and seafood are among the most extraordinary in New England. Within less than 45 minutes is Acadia National Park, the scenic seatowns of Stonington on Deer Isle, Bar Harbor, Belfast, and Blue Hill. A stay at the beautifully appointed Barnard House is a return to the elegance, tranquility, and splendor of Victorian New England.
Keywords: villa, mansion