A warm apartment, comfortable, modern and very well located. SAFETY PIN!
- english, spanish, portuguese, italian
100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days before arrival date.
The neighborhood of San Telmo is part of the historic center of Buenos Aires. San Telmo is famous for the antiques fair (flea market) that takes place every Sunday at Plaza Dorrego. It was the area where the first inhabitants settled, it is the oldest neighborhood in the City. Originally, it was inhabited by aristocratic families of Buenos Aires, until the epidemic of yellow fever of 1871 forced to move towards the north. which trams circulated.
The center of San Telmo is Plaza Dorrego, around which numerous cafes, restaurants and antique shops are concentrated. Bohemian life and tango are part of the neighborhood's atmosphere.
The neighborhood still preserves the essence of the old Buenos Aires. In San Telmo it is possible to find a bar where you can listen to tango and drink a coffee or wine or beer with the neighbors of the neighborhood. San Telmo is a neighborhood chosen by many artists and artisans to live and perform their works and is also a neighborhood of Tango par excellence.
History of San Telmo:
The San Telmo story began with the founding of Buenos Aires in 1580. The lands of the neighborhood were distributed among the first inhabitants of the city who immediately began to populate them. The neighborhood grew around the Church of San Pedro Telmo. The Bethlemite parents had the first hospital in the city. The neighborhood was populated until in 1871 it was the epicenter of the worst epidemic of yellow fever that ravaged Buenos Aires. Yellow fever took many victims, especially in the lower classes. The wealthy families left the neighborhood for fear of the disease and moved to the northern part of the city. Its large houses were abandoned and were inhabited by poor families, thus gave rise to the "conventillos" (large houses occupied by many families and sharing common places such as kitchen, patios and bathrooms).
Plaza Dorrego is one of the oldest in Buenos Aires. In the past, the place was the obligatory stop of the cars that traveled to the south. Over time it became the center of the neighborhood, around the square were installed several shops and cafes. Every Sunday at Plaza Dorrego, the famous antiques fair is held, also known as "flea markets", which many visitors attend.
SAN TELMO MARKET
The San Telmo Market opened its doors on February 14, 1891 and was very important for the trade of the southern area of Buenos Aires. In 2001, it was declared a National Historical Heritage of the City. The market has stalls selling meat, fish, fruits and vegetables, flowers, bakery, shoe store. Antique stalls and souvenirs for tourists were also added. And in recent years interesting gastronomic proposals and cafeterias have been installed. Hours: every day from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
The corner of Mafalda
At the corner of Defensa and Chile streets is a sculpture of Mafalda with his friends. The place is part of the Paseo de la Historieta and Mafalda is in that corner because a few meters away, in the street Chile 371, lived the artist Quino (Joaquín Salvador Lavado) and there he created the characters of the strip as Mafalda and his parents, Guille, Manolito, Susanita, Felipe and Libertad.
The smallest in the city
Other places that call attention in San Telmo is the house known as Casa Mínima. The minimum house is 2.5 meters wide and 13 meters deep and has the distinction of being the narrowest in the city. Address: Passage San Lorenzo 380, San Telmo.
Our Lady of Bethlehem Church and San Pedro González Telmo Parish
The church was designed by the Jesuits Blanqui and Primoli and was built in 1736. The neighborhood grew around the church, which was later taken on behalf of the patron saint of the parish (San Pedro González Telmo). In 1767 the King of Spain Carlos III expelled the Jesuits from America and the church was abandoned for some years until in 1785 the Fathers Bethlemitas took over. On the façade the figures of San Pedro, San Juan, San Pablo and San Ignacio stand out. The two towers culminate with bell towers decorated with blue majolicas.
Russian Orthodox Church
Opposite Parque Lezama is the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Trinity. The church was designed by the architect Alejandro Christophersen in the year 1901. The temple stands out for its Muscovite style that can be seen in the five blue-hued domes and golden stars that culminate in orthodox crosses fastened with chains pointing to the east. The interior can be visited during the hours of religious services. Or with guided tours for groups or institutions requesting it in advance.
And varieties of bars, restaurants, disco, tanguerias, art venues and antiques, etc.